Sunday, June 21, 2009

New York State of Mind (Lauren)

The apartment is packed. We did it all in about three days which really only speaks to the lack of things we have accumulated here. Moving tip 1(especially when storage is involved): create an inventory of what's in each box so you can easily find whatever you are looking for. This was an important lesson after the move from California where I found that boxes entitled "Linens and Things", though clever, were extremely useless. We'll get to repack those once we get to my parents' house. Fun!

So let's talk some feelings. I have to say this was one of the better transition periods I have gone through. Ending work was difficult. I really loved the people I worked with and I really hope I can stay connected with them. (Shout-out to my DTW peeps! Much love.) Moving tip 2: Really take time to see people and say goodbye. We had a party of lovely friends here in Brooklyn and it just warmed my heart, which hands down beats the slowly slink out of town approach I have used in the past.

New York snuck up on me. I was determined not to like it here because I thought it would be betraying California and more importantly Andy would have been right about something. Not a chance! Turns out, New York is freakin' awesome. There are endless things to do, the food is amazing, you never have to drive, the seasons are distinct and there are even four of them, you can take a train to Long Island and spend a day at the beach (thanks Kate!) or head upstate to ski, and the people are fascinating. Who knew?! I definitely don't feel done here which makes it easier and harder to leave all at once.

I guess the grand struggle is taking it all in. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the vast amount of change I'm about to experience. I know the Uhaul is coming tomorrow, but I can't understand it. I can think and read about South Africa endlessly, but it doesn't bring me any closer to being there and understanding what it will be like.

For now, I just mentally compile todo lists. The lists mainly are made up of things that need to be bought and packed, people to visits, food that needs to be eaten for the last time in 2 years. One of the items packed for storage was my pie dish. It suddenly dawned on me that I wouldn't be able to able to make a pie for 2 whole years, so "making a pie" got added to a list. I'm definitely open to hearing what other people think should be on the lists. I know I'll forget a bunch of stuff and kick myself later, but I'm sure that's part of it.

In the meantime, the top priority is spending time with the people I love and spending time preparing my mind for what's to come. I'm sure I'll have some time on our 25 hour drive to MO starting tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man. No pie for two years. The only thing worse would be no chocolate chip cookies for two years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it! Apparently there are candy bars, but that's just not the same!

    ReplyDelete